|Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a collection of metabolic illnesses known as chronic hyperglycaemia. It is one of the most common chronic diseases caused by insulin functions or secretions deficiency, which may cause carbohydrate and lipoprotein metabolism to be disrupted. The pituitary-gonadal axis malfunctions, testicular tissue dysfunctions and poor quality of sperms are all symptoms of DM, which is one of the most common causes of reproductive abnormalities. The current study has been designed to demonstrate the impacts of treatment with Ginseng oil oxidative stress-induced physiological and histological alterations in the male reproductive system of rats with subcutaneous (s/c) injection alloxan. The study was done on 30 mature male Wistar rats randomly divided into three equal groups (n=10). The first group, which served as the negative control, the second group (positive control) injection with (s/c) a single alloxan dosage (120 milligrams per kilogram of body weight), the third group was given alloxan and treated with ginseng oil (0.5cc at dosage (5 g /kg body weight daily) for 30 days. The percentage of live sperms increased significantly (P≤0.05) in the group that was given Ginseng oil orally compared to the alloxan group, the percentage of dead sperms and sperm abnormalities dropped, and the total sperm count was decreased. In the rat testis, (s/c) given alloxan (120 mg/kg), aberrant spermatids were present with a decrease in the sperm numbers in the lumens of seminiferous tubules, as well as a division in the irregular germ cells. The current study concluded that Ginseng oil exerted an antioxidant effect on the male reproductive system of rats injected with subcutaneous (s/c) alloxan.|
- Zendjabil M. Biological diagnosis of diabetes mellitus. Curr Res Transl Med. 2016;64(1):49-52.
- Gaunay G, Nagler HM, Stember DS. Reproductive sequelae of diabetes in male patients. Endocrinol Metab Clin. 2013;42(4):899-914.
- Lushchak V. Free radicals, reactive oxygen species, oxidative stresses and their classifications. Ukr Biochem J. 2015:87(6):11-8.
- Sinclair S. Male infertility: nutritional and environmental considerations. Altern Med Rev. 2000;5(1):28-38.
- Hassan AM, Abdel-Wahhab MA. Antioxidant effect of parsley and panax ginseng extract standardized with ginsenosides Rg3 against alteration induced in reproductive functions in male mice. Egypt J Hosp Med. 2006;22(1):60-72.
- Justesen U, Knuthsen P. Composition of flavonoids in fresh herbs and calculation of flavonoid intake by use of herbs in traditional Danish dishes. Food Chem. 2001;73(2):245-50.
- Kumar M, Sharma MK, Saxena PS, Kumar A. Radioprotective effect of Panax ginseng on the phosphatases and lipid peroxidation level in testes of Swiss albino mice. Biol Pharm Bull. 2003;26(3):308-12.
- Hwang SY, Kim WJ, Wee JJ, Choi JS, Kim SK. Panax ginseng improves survival and sperm quality in guinea pigs exposed to 2, 3, 7, 8‐tetrachlorodibenzo‐p‐dioxin. BJU Int. 2004;94(4):663-8.
- Yang WM, Park SY, Kim HM, Park EH, Park SK, Chang MS. Effects of Panax ginseng on glial cell‐derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) expression and spermatogenesis in rats. Phytother Res. 2011;25(2):308-11.
- Park WS, Shin DY, Yang WM, Chang MS, Park SK. Korean ginseng induces spermatogenesis in rats through the activation of cAMP-responsive element modulator (CREM). Fertil Steril. 2007;88(4):1000-2.
- Mostafavinia A, Amini A, Ghorishi SK, Pouriran R, Bayat M. The effects of dosage and the routes of administrations of streptozotocin and alloxan on induction rate of typel diabetes mellitus and mortality rate in rats. Lab Anim Res. 2016;32(3):160-5.
- Adamkovicova M, Toman R, Martiniakova M, Omelka R, Babosova R, Krajcovicova V, et al. Sperm motility and morphology changes in rats exposed to cadmium and diazinon. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2016;14(1):1-7.
- Klinefelter GR, EarlGray Jr L, Suarez JD. The method of sperm collection significantly influences sperm motion parameters following ethane dimethanesulphonate administration in the rat. Reprod Toxicol. 1991;5(1):39-44.
- Chemineau P, Cagnie Y, Guerin Y, Orgeur P, Vallet J. Manuel de formation pour l'insémination artificielle chez les ovins et les caprinsTraining manual on artificial insemination in sheep and goats: FAO, Roma, Italia. 1991.
- Evan G, Maxwell W. Salamon’s Artificial Insemination of sheep and goat. Butter woth, Sydney, Australia. 1987.
- Green K, Brand MD, Murphy MP. Prevention of mitochondrial oxidative damage as a therapeutic strategy in diabetes. Diabetes. 2004;(53):110-8.
- Shoorei H, Khaki A, Khaki AA, Hemmati AA, Moghimian M, Shokoohi M. The ameliorative effect of carvacrol on oxidative stress and germ cell apoptosis in testicular tissue of adult diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2019.
- Bhattacharya SM, Ghosh M, Nandi N. Diabetes mellitus and abnormalities in semen analysis. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2014;40(1):167-71.