|Tribulus Terrestris (TT) is a common herbal plant with different categories that grows in many countries of the world. Traditional Chinese and Indian therapies have used TT for infertility treatment and also as a powerful antioxidant agent. Therefore, this study aimed to use this plant supplemented with vitamin E to study their combined effects on the histological condition of the testicle and epididymis of rabbits. This study was performed on 28 healthy male rabbits (445-950 g, 2.0-3.0 months old) that were randomly divided into four groups (n=7). All animals were subjected to clinical examination to ensure that they were free of external and internal parasites with the use of some preventive treatments. The animals were housed individually (cage size: 50 cm×50 cm×40 cm) over the 60-day study period starting from January 2022, with an adaptation period of two weeks. Tribulus Terrestris and vitamin E treatments were as follows: the first group (G1) was daily fed on a standard diet and kept as the control group, the second group (G2) was daily fed on the same ration plus 1 g of TT (animal/daily), the third group (G3) was daily fed on the same ration plus 1 g of TT supplemented with 60 mg of vitamin E (orally) (animal /daily), and the fourth group (G4) was daily fed on the same ration, with the addition of 60 mg vitamin E per animal (orally). The morphometric investigation, macroscopic variables (including body weight, testicular weight, and volume), and the microscopic parameters of the testicular seminal tubule were measured. The histological section showed the absence of negative effects after the oral administration of TT at a dose of 1 g per day and 60 IU vitamin E for each animal. However, there was a positive effect on spermatogonia and spermatocytes in all animals, while the spermatogonia in the experimental groups were more dense, especially in the second and third groups, compared to the control group. The seminiferous tubules were significantly lined with spermatogonia, spermatocytes, and round spermatids (P<0.5) in the experimental groups, compared to the control group. Nevertheless, the epididymis tissue did not show traces of histological changes, such as epididymal hyperplasia. Sperms were more frequent in the lumens of the epididymis as well as the lumens larger than those of the control. Based on the results of this study, it can be concluded that the pole plant and vitamin E have a positive effect on the epithelial lining of the seminiferous tubules and the epididymis with an increase in sperm formation and differentiation towards maturity.|
- Semerdjieva IB, Zheljazkov VD. Chemical constituents, biological properties, and uses of Tribulus terrestris: A Review. Nat Prod Commun. 2019;14(8):1934578X19868394.
- Chhatre S, Nesari T, Somani G, Kanchan D, Sathaye S. Phytopharmacological overview of Tribulus terrestris. Pharmacogn Rev. 2014;8(15):45.
- AL-Meeni IM. Research Paper Effect of Alcoholic Extract of Tribulus Terrestris on Fertility Parameters in Male Rabbit.
- Sirotkin AV, Kolesarova A. Puncture Vine (Tribulus Terrestris L.) in Control of Health and Reproduction. Physiol Res. 2021;70(4):S657.
- Idamokoro EM, Falowo AB, Oyeagu CE, Afolayan AJ. Multifunctional activity of vitamin E in animal and animal products: A review. Anim Sci J. 2020;91(1):e13352.
- Asebe B, Daudu O, Ereke S, Iyeghe-Erakpotobor G. Effect of dietary vitamin E on growth performance of rabbit bucks. Niger J Animal Sci. 2020;22(2):64-9.
- Pousty I, Adibmoradi M. Histotechnique. Histotechnique, University of Tehran press(1st ed) Tehran, Iran. 2006.
- Abdel-All SR, Shakour ZTA, Abouhussein DM, Reda E, Sallam TF, El-Hefnawy HM, et al. Phytochemical and biological evaluation of a newly designed nutraceutical self-nanoemulsifying self-nanosuspension for protection and treatment of cisplatin induced testicular toxicity in male rats. Molecules. 2021;26(2):408.
- Ahmed AE, Alshehri A, Al-Kahtani M, Elbehairi SEI, Alshehri MA, Shati AA, et al. Vitamin E and selenium administration synergistically mitigates ivermectin and doramectin-induced testicular dysfunction in male Wistar albino rats. Biomed Pharmacother. 2020;124:109841.
- Salgado R, Marques‐Silva M, Gonçalves E, Mathias A, Aguiar J, Wolff P. Effect of oral administration of Tribulus terrestris extract on semen quality and body fat index of infertile men. Andrologia. 2017;49(5):e12655.
- Roaiah MF, El Khayat YI, GamalEl Din SF, Abd El Salam MA. Pilot study on the effect of botanical medicine (Tribulus terrestris) on serum testosterone level and erectile function in aging males with partial androgen deficiency (PADAM). J Sex Marital Ther. 2016;42(4):297-301.
- Gauthaman K, Ganesan AP. The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris and its role in the management of male erectile dysfunction–an evaluation using primates, rabbit and rat. Phytomedicine. 2008;15(1-2):44-54.
- Abadjieva D, Grigorova S, Gjorgovska N, Kistanova E. Dose-dependent effect of tribulus terrestris dry extract on reproductive organs of growing male rabbits. Maced J Anim Sci. 2019.
- Akdoğan M, Nasir Y, Cengiz N, Bilgili A. The effects of milled Tribulus terrestris, Avena sativa, and white ginseng powder on total cholesterol, free testosterone levels and testicular tissue in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet. Ankara Univ Vet Fak Derg. 2018;65(3):267-72.
- Tremblay JJ. Molecular regulation of steroidogenesis in endocrine Leydig cells. Steroids. 2015;103:3-10.
- McGavin MD, Zachary JF. Pathologic basis of veterinary disease: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2006.
- Ren X, Chen X, Wang Z, Wang D. Is transcription in sperm stationary or dynamic? J Reprod Dev. 2017:2016-093.
- Galano A, Tan D-X, Reiter RJ. Melatonin: a versatile protector against oxidative DNA damage. Molecules. 2018;23(3):530.
- Hsu P-C, Liu M-Y, Hsu C-C, Chen L-Y, Guo YL. Effects of vitamin E and/or C on reactive oxygen species-related lead toxicity in the rat sperm. Toxicology. 1998;128(3):169-79.
- Hasanin NA, Sayed NM, Ghoneim FM, Al-Sherief SA. Histological and ultrastructure study of the testes of acrylamide exposed adult male albino rat and evaluation of the possible protective effect of vitamin E intake. J Microsc Ultrastruct. 2018;6(1):23.
- Vijayalaxmi S, Jayalakshmi S, Sreeramulu K. Polyphenols from different agricultural residues: extraction, identification and their antioxidant properties. J Food Sci Technol. 2015;52(5):2761-9.
- Al-Kushi G, El Sawy A, Hijazi M, Header A, Hataba A. Therapeutic effect of vitamin E on testicular tissue damage caused by obesity. J Obes Weight Loss Ther. 2016;6(320):2.
- Hafez ESE, Hafez B. Reproduction in farm animals: John Wiley & Sons; 2013.
- Asadi N, Bahmani M, Kheradmand A, Rafieian-Kopaei M. The impact of oxidative stress on testicular function and the role of antioxidants in improving it: a review. J Clin Diagn Res. 2017;11(5):IE01.
- James ER, Carrell DT, Aston KI, Jenkins TG, Yeste M, Salas-Huetos A. The role of the epididymis and the contribution of epididymosomes to mammalian reproduction. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(15):5377.
- Smith LB, Walker WH, editors. The regulation of spermatogenesis by androgens. Seminars in cell & developmental biology; 2014: Elsevier.
- Walker WH. Testosterone signaling and the regulation of spermatogenesis. Spermatogenesis. 2011;1(2):116-20.