|Adenoviral vectors (AdVs) are widely used as a gene delivery vehicle and vaccine design due to their genetic stability, transfer capacity of large genes, production at high titers, and remarkable efficacy of transduction. One of the most important applications of AdVs is in cancer immunotherapy. Tumor-associated antigens are overexpressed in cancer cells; however, they cannot induce immune responses sufficiently. Therefore, the immune system must be stimulated against these antigens to kill the cancer cells. This study described the construction steps of a recombinant AdV expressing human carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) gene. Furthermore, in order to achieve a high titer of the virus, an efficient transfection was required. Three various transfection reagents were compared to achieve the best method of transfection. Carcinoembryonic antigen was cloned into the pAdV and transfected into the A293 cells using three different reagents, including polyethylenimine (PEI), calcium phosphate, and DMRIE-C. The PEI had the highest transfection efficiency, which was selected for the transfection of the recombinant plasmid. It has low toxicity for cells and is suitable for large-scale transfection. The virus produced in this study can be applied as a vaccine in cancer immunotherapy for stimulating the immune system against CEA-expressing tumors.|
- He Y, Zhang J, Donahue C, Falo LD, Jr. Skin-derived dendritic cells induce potent CD8(+) T cell immunity in recombinant lentivector-mediated genetic immunization. Immunity. 2006;24(5):643-56.
- Aldhamen YA, Seregin SS, Kousa YA, Rastall DP, Appledorn DM, Godbehere S, et al. Improved cytotoxic T-lymphocyte immune responses to a tumor antigen by vaccines co-expressing the SLAM-associated adaptor EAT-2. Cancer Gene Ther. 2013;20(10):564-75.
- Hensel JA, Khattar V, Ashton R, Ponnazhagan S. Recombinant AAV-CEA Tumor Vaccine in Combination with an Immune Adjuvant Breaks Tolerance and Provides Protective Immunity. Mol Ther Oncolytics. 2019;12:41-8.
- Quiroga D, Aldhamen YA, Appledorn DM, Godbehere S, Amalfitano A. Strengthened tumor antigen immune recognition by inclusion of a recombinant Eimeria antigen in therapeutic cancer vaccination. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2015;64(4):479-91.
- D'Alise AM, Leoni G, Cotugno G, Troise F, Langone F, Fichera I, et al. Adenoviral vaccine targeting multiple neoantigens as strategy to eradicate large tumors combined with checkpoint blockade. Nat Commun. 2019;10(1):2688.
- Lee CS, Bishop ES, Zhang R, Yu X, Farina EM, Yan S, et al. Adenovirus-Mediated Gene Delivery: Potential Applications for Gene and Cell-Based Therapies in the New Era of Personalized Medicine. Genes Dis. 2017;4(2):43-63.
- Tian X, Fan Y, Wang C, Liu Z, Liu W, Xu Y, et al. Seroprevalence of Neutralizing Antibodies against Six Human Adenovirus Types Indicates the Low Level of Herd Immunity in Young Children from Guangzhou, China. Virol Sin. 2021;36(3):373-81.
- Wold WS, Toth K. Adenovirus vectors for gene therapy, vaccination and cancer gene therapy. Curr Gene Ther. 2013;13(6):421-33.
- Loustalot F, Kremer EJ, Salinas S. The Intracellular Domain of the Coxsackievirus and Adenovirus Receptor Differentially Influences Adenovirus Entry. J Virol. 2015;89(18):9417-26.
- Larocca C, Schlom J. Viral vector-based therapeutic cancer vaccines. Cancer J. 2011;17(5):359-71.
- Luo J, Deng ZL, Luo X, Tang N, Song WX, Chen J, et al. A protocol for rapid generation of recombinant adenoviruses using the AdEasy system. Nat Protoc. 2007;2(5):1236-47.
- Ricobaraza A, Gonzalez-Aparicio M, Mora-Jimenez L, Lumbreras S, Hernandez-Alcoceba R. High-Capacity Adenoviral Vectors: Expanding the Scope of Gene Therapy. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(10).
- Sato-Dahlman M, LaRocca CJ, Yanagiba C, Yamamoto M. Adenovirus and Immunotherapy: Advancing Cancer Treatment by Combination. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(5).
- Crosby EJ, Hobeika AC, Niedzwiecki D, Rushing C, Hsu D, Berglund P, et al. Long-term survival of patients with stage III colon cancer treated with VRP-CEA(6D), an alphavirus vector that increases the CD8+ effector memory T cell to Treg ratio. J Immunother Cancer. 2020;8(2).
- Zhang Y, Rajput A, Jin N, Wang J. Mechanisms of Immunosuppression in Colorectal Cancer. Cancers (Basel). 2020;12(12).
- Gupta A, Rosato AJ, Cui F. Vaccine candidate designed against carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecules using immunoinformatics tools. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2021;39(16):6084-98.
- Ramos-Murillo AI, Rodriguez E, Beltran K, Ricaurte C, Camacho B, Salguero G, et al. Efficient Non-Viral Gene Modification of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells from Umbilical Cord Wharton's Jelly with Polyethylenimine. Pharmaceutics. 2020;12(9).